Friday, January 21, 2011

First Week of School

It’s so cold outside I decided that I just cannot leave Steve to freeze all day, so I brought him in as soon as I got home and have been enjoying his company since. He is huge in my opinion, reaching just about to my Greater Trochanter, which is a part of the femur that pokes out just at the top of the thigh on the lateral side of the leg (in case anyone wanted a little anatomy lesson.)

As you can see I have, since Tuesday, plunged into my studying at full blast. There was no easing into things this semester to my despair. The fifteen credit hours of mostly lecture this week has gotten my mind so stuck on all of it, that I find that I can only think in PTA terms. It is becoming a challenge for me to describe stuff in words other than, “medially to” or “in flexion” or “around the height of my greater trochanter”.

Steve has just come over to slobber on my laptop, reach up to give me a kiss then spook at the cat and stomp at the dog. How can I type when all this entertainment is happening around me!!!

Where was I…school! Earlier in the week I was becoming very stressed. I came into this year with high expectations and after only the second day I was starting to feel behind in the class. It seems to move so quickly, that if you don’t understand something the day it is learned, your toast. But now, at the end of the week, I’m finding a little more rhythm to it all. As a result the stress has melted away, a little.

On Wednesday, the vaulters got together after a long winter break to start practicing for the March Springfield show. I won’t say the practice went well, because, as a first practice, it was pretty bumpy as we stumbled around on the barrel trying to find what will work and what won’t. Our approach this year is very different as we are attempting something that no other vaulting team has done before to my knowledge, and that is to act out a play on top of the horse. Perhaps it’s never been done before because it doesn’t work, nevertheless, we are trying it. This could be either revolutionary or a huge flop. We’ll see. Anyway, we hope this practice will go smoother as we now have a better idea of a routine. We will be having practice inside the Horsemeister office on the barrel in a couple hours.

Ha! I just watched as Steve bravely faced Abby, stomped his foot in defense and then did a little hopping dance all the way around her as she wagged her tail. Her only response to this was to go lick him in the nose which gave him quite a fright. He then ran to me  for some comfort. Poor Steve!

Anyway, after school was let out at twelve today I gave mom a call. She invited me to have lunch with her at the Chinese Restaurant. It was good that we were meeting because she had some things she wanted me to take home with me anyway. Well, as we were transferring stuff from her car to mine, a blue car stops and starts honking. I wasn’t exactly in the way, but a quick glance told me it was an elderly woman, and I figured she must be a little sensitive to driving near pedestrians. I stepped between some cars, but she kept honking. Confused I turned to mom and asked, “is she honking at US?” She was indeed, for it was Mama, who just happened to be meeting Csilla there for lunch. It was a party now! We came in and were seated as we chattered about the coincidence of meeting up in this way when we run into Phil and Anna Sceggel! What are the chances?

Anni has been fortunate enough to find a steady babysitting job through Csilla. She will be sharing it with Kinga, my cousin. If anyone knows Anni well, they will know that she never has money! This opportunity is very welcomed on her part, though I must say, I dread thinking of it, not due to her, but due to my Mom. Mom tends to sort of latch onto a subject and will use it for EVERY conversation until it is past the point of being worn out. She resents me saying so but it is true! I’ve her analyze and excite over this dumb job for weeks now, and quite frankly, I almost wish Anni had never gotten it…ok I don’t wish that. It’s ok though, one little annoyance is not enough for me to ever find reason to fight or be angry with mom at all. I know I have my quirks too.

Alright, I just have to write this: Dad got mom some BEAUTIFUL roses for mom’s fiftieth birthday. She put them in a vase and placed them proudly on the counter between our kitchen and living room. The counter is rather tall and the flowers situated in the middle of it. Well, Steve spotted them and with his amazing balance, stood on his back two feet  to try to reach them. He had no success, but it was fun to watch.

Tonight we are leaving for the Creation Museum. We found a 21 year old to go with us to get the hotel, so all systems are go. The 21 year old is actually my Aunt Karin, who is always up for a fun time, and always willing to help a person out. And she likes hanging out with the teenagers, so it’s perfect.

Oh, now Steve is friends with Abby and is licking her! So odd.

2 comments: