Friday, May 13, 2011

Day At the Zoo

Haha, today was so random and so wonderful at the same time it just makes me want to laugh. School was out for a “study day” before finals so this morning I went on the walk. Finally being able to where shorts and flip flops on the walk made me very happy and the good talks were just icing on the cake.

I had wanted to do some productive things with the morning, but I left my phone in Mom’s pocket and, since I was planning to go anyway, I left for Peoria right away to pick it up.

A few days ago I got a text saying that there was a group going to the Peoria Zoo for whoever wanted to. I haven’t gotten to see the new Africa exhibit so I gladly decided to join in. Around 10:30 we (a bunch of people from the ICC Young Group) met at the door. Looking back I must say that it was the best day at the Peoria zoo that I’ve ever experienced and I’ll tell you why: First off, the group that went is always a fun bunch to hang out with, but also, Sam Ginzel is a Biology Major and took a job at the zoo last summer. She knew the names, ages, histories, and personalities of almost all the animals and told all kinds of fun stories about them. It was like having our own personal tour guide/ behind the scenes look at the zoo. The best part was her excitement for it all. She really loves what she’s doing.

For lunch we went to Five Guys, some hamburger joint, then drove to Morton to Courtney Kaiser’s house. Once there we enjoyed the refreshing air condition for a while and played ping pong and speed scrabble. However, the thought came up that it is too nice of a day to spend indoors. My opinion of the hot muggy Illinois weather would not fit in the phrase “nice day” but whatever. So, we walked over to a park to with a volleyball and frisbee in tow. The volleyball net was taken down, thus making frisbee the obvious choice. I felt a little despair over this decision as I am not very good at frisbee and the amount of running that it requires sounded awful! We played four on four and it actually ended up being a lot of fun. Were we feeling scorched under the hot sun? Yes. Did it feel as if we were swimming, either in the humidity or our own sweat? Yes. Was it worth it? Totally! I actually got some good catches in so I’m happy.

I came home around 4:30 and got going on taking a final online right away. I didn’t do so great on it, but I passed the class so that’s all that matters. I finished the test with just enough time (ten minutes) to get ready for church.

No comments:

Post a Comment