Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bring your daughter to work day

Another semester come and gone. And it seems like it was just yesterday I was buying books for the fall. Now I must once pa-c-physical-therapy--books-main-sboxagain scour the internet for a new set of books at a decent price. But, I guess I do feel quite a sense of accomplishment. I made it through this second semester of the program alive and look forward to knowing I only have three left. As great as school is and all, I am so happy to be on break. May it be long, restful, if not slightly lazy, and great.

I did well enough on all my finals.

Actually I spent my first day of break at work with mom. It is really nice to take all that book work and information from class and apply it to a more practical setting. If you don’t already know, Mom is a Physical Therapist’s Assistant in the District 150 schools. She goes to Charter Oak, Harrison, Valesca Hinton, Rolling Acres, Thomas Jefferson to see kids that vary tremendously. Her job is to help them be as normal physically as possible, so if that means teaching them to dribble a ball, skip, gallop, or play baseball, then that is what she will do. If the kid has trouble with stairs and his or her class is on the third floor, she works 02898_PTATacPin_PT_medon stairs. But its not just activities that she does. She helps them stretch and do exercises. Since she is dealing with children, one challenge she must face is keeping their attentions. She can’t just say, now do ten sit ups. She has to come up with a creative way to have the child complete the activity. To make them do sit ups she might have them lie on the floor and sit at their feet and hold up her hands. The kid would be given a sticker to stick on one of her hands. She is constantly coming up with new ways to make exercising a game, and for the most part it works. I truly believe mom is a sunny spot in these kid’s days. They always smile when they see her and come running to hold her hand. That is why I want to go into this profession. I know not every one I encounter will like Therapy. Actually, I’ve seen and heard of instances when people just downright hate it, but it gives me a chance to make people happy and do something for them.

Anyway, it was a rewarding day.

Oh, it wasn’t really bring your daughter to work day for mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment