Sunday, November 21, 2010

A daily account of my life from the last four days.

On Wednesday Steven invited some friends over to ride horses and I, figuring I wouldn’t hesitate if it was Karin asking, agreed to help him. We were all a little surprised when these “friends” were both two pretty girls. He got his fair share of teasing after that! Neither of them had really ridden a horse before, so I had to be pretty thorough with teaching them how to ride, but after one hour they were both able to walk, trot, and canter Larry with an adequate amount of control. After they went home, I dressed up, picked up Grandma and Jessica, and left for church. The sermon was nice, though, by now I hardly remember what it was about. The ministers left the pulpit and we began chatting amongst ourselves happily and I see Tom Rieker coming toward me. He asks me if I drove my white Kia to church and I replied with a nod and an exasperated, “Did I leave my lights on AGAIN?” He assured me I hadn’t, but gave me the news that my back right tire is extremely flat. Luckily my uncle, Jozsef came to the rescue to change it and we were able to come home at a decent hour. Oh bother, just one more thing to worry about.

For school on Thursday we took a quick quiz and then learned that the rest of the day would be devoted to this “Barriers” experience thing. We all got scenarios that read something along the lines of this: “You are a 43 year old who has fractured her left leg due to a fall on ice. You have been given axillary crutches and orders for none weight bearing on that leg. You have left your phone in you car and need to go fetch it. On your way back you need to use the restroom. Don’t forget to wash your hands!” So, we fitted ourselves with our crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, and canes and headed out into the community to struggle with doors, stairs, and sidewalk curbs and to get funny looks. It was really an eye opener to see how people with disabilities are treated.

Friday I had the day off, and though I woke up that morning with very little planned, by the time we came home from the walk, I was up to my eyeballs in business. I needed to clean my own home for money to spend in Gulf Shores, so I started that promptly at 8. Then at 1 I started working on my art project which took 2 hours. I was supposed to depict a perfect day in three parts: afternoon, morning, and evening.

100_9973

While I painted, my wonderful dad offered to take my car to get the tire fixed as he had a dentist appointment anyway. I was rather dissappointed when he came home with a bill for 180.00 and told me the tire couldn’t be fixed and the other needed to be replaced. EEK! That will put a strain on my finances for sure. At least I will have all new tires for the winter. Well, I didn’t have much time to worry about money because following Dad were Anni and Ryan which meant that in thirty minutes I needed to be leaving to meet at the church at 7:30 for Operation Christmas Child. This is a lovely service in which people from all around buy gifts to fill a shoe box with and send them out to poor kids in other countries. We had a great turnout as most of the Young group came.

From there I left a little early to go to Morton. Their young group was doing a similar project and I was invited to join them. We met at the Funk’s house after shopping at wal-mart to wrap gifts, eat some really good food, and play Dutch Blitz.

Saturday, (Don’t worry, this is the last day I’m going to write about) I slept in till 7:30 (Shocking, I know). When I woke up I had some coffee and read the Bible and got to work putting together my costume for the parade. Judy and her Friesians were invited to ride in the Chilicothe Christmas Parade. As much as I love getting on a horse in a pretty outfit and riding in front of a great crowd, the day turned out to be long, cold, and quite exhausting. I think it was worth it though. After all, I had the best behaved horse of them all, though maybe not the prettiest: Ribbon is an old pro at these things and was such a sweetheart through it all. I really like that big mare.

I came home after the parade with only about an hour of downtime before I was to go back to the church for our young group’s “Mystery Night”. These are always very fun and well attended. This mystery night was focused on the body of Christ. We arrived and were separated into groups of the mouth, hands, feet, heart, and nose and were sent off to do service projects such as writing letters to the sick, wrapping Bibles, etc. After wards we played games till all hours of the night and came home for a brief nights sleep. I must say, I think we all came away from that evening feeling as if it was the best mystery night yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment