Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow Days

Last Friday I found myself sick. The fever carried over into the next day and I was left to spend the day on the couch being coddled and cared for by Mom. I wasn’t the only one, however, Ryan and Steven had come down with the same thing. The sickness caused me to miss church that Sunday and caused Mom to have to cancel Anni’s surprise birthday party.

Then Monday came and I felt I was well enough to go to clinical. I am very fortunate to have been placed  at such a nice clinical rotation. It’s outpatient, which I prefer, and my instructor and the other PTA and PT are very kind. I help out around the clinic, hearing all morning of the huge blizzard that was to hit on Tuesday. I honestly felt fine all day up until lunch. After that I think they could see that my health was deteriorating fast and they let me go home a little early. Thank goodness for that because the snow had already begun.

That night was spent watching the weather. To all of our shock, schools were already deciding to cancel. Well, Mom’s and the kid’s school. I was still left in suspense through the night as to whether or not I would be facing this storm the next day.

Tuesday morning came and I diligently woke up at 6:00, mentally preparing myself for the journey to come. It wasn’t getting to school that I was afraid of, but being there at 12 when the storm hit and not being able to get home. Well, it would not be so, for once I came out of bed I went straight to my parents room and joined my dad in watching the news. “Illinois Central College-Closed”. I was very glad for that because, turns out I woke up this particular morning running a 102.4 temperature. Since Dad wasn’t feeling too well either, we spent the morning together on the couch watching the local news channel.

The storm turned out to be as dramatic as predicted. Once it started at 12 the roaring wind and the driving snow came to the ground with fury. At times we couldn’t even see the barns out back. We had brought Steve inside the house and as the storm progressed, it was evident that he would not be going back out. It was a lot of fun having him inside for so long.

Wednesday the storm had subsided, but the snow  plows couldn’t keep up with the drifting winds, so no school that day either. Feeling better on Wednesday, I decided to have fun. After some cleaning was done, we all saw the new snow, sun, and outdoors calling. Gladly we heeded that call and bundled up.

There’s this one activity that we do nearly every winter. It’s my favorite thing to do and that is to saddle up the horse, tie some ropes to the back of his saddle and ski behind him! With me on the horse and Anni and Mom in the back, we took off down the empty and snowy roads to Grandma’s 1 mile away. It was so much fun and Larry proved he was strong and has great endurance.

Karin Being pulled by Larry.

We came home from doing that quite tired and a little sore, but with smiles on our faces. Then the Sauder’s and Karin called to tell us they are coming over for ping pong. Mom set out some snacks before they arrived. Our playroom is large and has a nice Ping Pong table in the middle, perfect for around the world. Of course to put a spin on things and make it more interesting we played toss the paddle.

I was pretty sure that I would have school on Thursday even though it was posted that none of the rest of my family would. Grudgingly I spent the rest of Wednesday studying and preparing for the next day. Just in case I checked the ICC website every ten minutes or so. After about fifty times of doing that it was clear that I would be braving the cold and the roads tomorrow. However, right before turning my computer off for the night I gave one quick check just in case and it was closed! I felt like a little kid and had to run jubilantly to tell mom and dad. My plans for Thursday: build and igloo.

It turned out to be the sweetest igloo ever! it’s huge!

Well, now for the part that I wasn’t going to write but I have to get it out.

I MISS MOM AND DAAAAAADDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They left this morning at Three Thirty for their 20th anniversary cruise, which is super cool. I hope they have a ton of fun in celebrating those 20 years of marriage. That doesn’t mean I don’t wish them back. Taking care of things at home isn’t hard and the kids are being good, that’s not why I want them back, I genuinely miss them. It might be pretty abnormal, and perhaps on the pathetic side for a teenager to be saying this, but I am convinced that I love my parents more than anything in this world, second only to God and I don’t think I can handle not having them around for a whole week! I feel so lonely and forlorn without mom’s smiles and dad’s hugs. (I can write this here because they never read this blog, otherwise I wouldn’t because I don’t want to put a damper on their trip.) Well, for whatever reason, during the midst of my despairing over them leaving, I did have one comforting thought: God isn’t leaving me and, though I don’t have a prayer of reaching my parents for seven days, I know that I can contact God at any time I want no matter what. That gave me some comfort.

So, although I will still miss them terribly and will think about them a lot and I may cry a little, I will get through this week because I have God.

No comments:

Post a Comment