Sunday, February 27, 2011

Undeserved Blessings

The 26th, yesterday, was my 19th birthday. Going from 18 to 19 won’t be too hard this year, as I’ve been saying I’m 19 for months now on accident. Every year around this time I must look back and remember thinking, “wow, I wonder what I’ll be like when I’m _____” Well, here I am at 19 and I think my past self would be pleased with me now…I hope.

I feel as though my birthday has been a three day affair. It all started on Friday. I knew Melissa and Jennifer (fellow PTA students) were planning something. Honestly, I only expected a card. When I walked into the classroom, my eyes beheld much more: my desk and chair were decorated to a tee with balloons, fliers, bows, and ribbons. There were also a bag of chocolate covered popcorn (yum) and a lovely card. Those two really out did themselves for me and I felt truly touched. All through out class that day I was repeatedly wished a happy birthday.

The next birthday encounter came at the Bible study that night. The girls gathered in an upstairs spare room and the boys remained in the basement at the Rieker’s house. We’ve been going through a series of lessons on being Knights of God’s kingdom and Princesses of Principle. I know it sounds cheesy, but these studies have taught me so much and I’m thankful for them. Anyway, someone mentioned that it was my birthday and the girls wished me a happy day. Phew, I thought, that was painless enough, now it’s over and I can enjoy the evening. Ah ha! not so apparently! After we had had a snack, I sat down to enjoy some conversation with some of the girls when I hear the melody of that dreaded song, Happy birthday. Everyone came in the room and sang to me, both Happy Birthday and God’s Blessings. I could feel heat creeping into my face as I’m sure I turned red as an apple. All that attention was a little too much for me.

As hard as it was to endure the singing, I have to say, I was again touched that they all took the time for it.

Saturday, I was being wished happy birthday on facebook countless times. My “party” was nice, though a little awkward due to the odd mixed group that showed up. Mom seemed to really want to throw me a party, and knowing I had nothing going on that night, I’d agreed to having some family over. Well, the Davidovics side all showed up, but only Mike and Diane and Karin from the Meister side were able to come. The two groups get along ok but it’s not the easiest of crowds. Then, with round the world ping pong in mind, I told Jessica to see if her brothers would come over. I didn’t give any thought to the fact that they had company and when I did think of it, I figured the chances of them arriving on time or at all were slim. You can imagine my shock when David, along with Caleb Jones and Luke Wahl walked in my door before any of the other guests. We played some ping pong which was fun. I just hoped that the rest of the evening would remain in the same easy going way. Ah ha! not so apparently! “Time to sing Happy Birthday Goof” my mom’s call could be heard. My mind reeled. I scrambled for some way to escape the impending doom of being sang to again. But, despite all my efforts, it was inevitable. Feeling completely embarrassed, I took my spot before the princess castle cake that I had built and once again endured the singing. One glance at David’s friends told me they were feeling out of place and quite uncomfortable with it all.

Oh well, there are just some things in life that we have to look back and laugh at, you know. In the end it wasn’t so bad, and I’m sure to any adults reading this, it may all sound like silly teenage worries, but to me it felt colossal.

And, however awkward that party may have been, once again, I was touched that they all took the time to come and celebrate with me.

Today, Sunday, I felt as though God was showering me with birthday gifts. Though, the morning service was poorly attended, which was disheartening, we learned such a great deal from Exodus that it became a blessing to attend. During lunch I enjoyed a lovely conversation with some sisters about the Bible, God, and living for Him, and then preceded to serve lunch for one of the men’s tables. It was a quick shift and I was able to make it to the song service just in time. There was hardly anyone in the sanctuary at first, but it seemed it didn’t matter, for the joyful sound that came from the worshippers in there was amazing. As time went on and people slowly trickled in the volume and praise grew louder and stronger. I was literally trembling from the amount of effort put into worship to the king. It was effort well spent, for our Lord deserves all of our praise. And, then we were again blessed by a wonderful sermon by Ken.

It was such a beautiful Sunday, but I came home totally spent. I have more homework than I care for and a terrible busy week ahead of me. Oh well, I’ll plunge into it and try to have a good attitude.

1 comment:

  1. so sorry we missed your birthday. Hope it was better than what was written in your blog. Happy Birthday My DEAR niece!

    ReplyDelete