Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 5...I think...

On day five I was still sick. That was the day we went to Death Valley. From what I heard from the family later was that it was hot and dry and low elevation. Apparently, it was so hot at one point that they tried to fry an egg on the blacktop. Anni said there was some white around the edges. I think I believe her.
While driving through Nevada there were several times when I could hear excited exclamations about dust devils. I guess there were quite a few large ones.
Once again, I was too sick to remember any of that day besides what I heard from the family.
I was feeling a bit better that evening to see the campground. At this point we had come to Southern California. The Campground was up a mountain and very primitive. At one edge of the campground there was a gorgeous mountain creek. The site we chose was very private and near some very interesting trees, one of which had a huge burned out hollow spot that looked as if it could fit a bear inside of it. The only pictures I have of this place are of some flowers Anni and I picked on a very short walk.
Here is Anni's account of Day 5:

We saw death valley. It was so hot we cracked an egg on the black top. It didn't cook through, bu it got a small white layer on the bottom. And it got hotter. after a while of driving we had to shut the air off so the engine wouldn't over heat. It was miserable, but we made it.
Our next campsite made up for the heat. It was in the mountains so it was cool during the day and wonderfully cold at night. Rebekah was feeling better so she read to us. We had spaghetti for supper, a Bible study, and then bed. Our site was on the edge of the camp ground and our motor home made a wall between us and every one else so it was very private. IN the morning we walked down to the river. It was like a fairy land. Ancient trees grow on small islands, parting the rocky river. Exotic flowers grow every where and the sun shimmered through the trees and a bouquet of flowers. There's a lake nearby that we are headed to to spend part of he day at.
Dad fished while we sat around. Then we went and saw the hot springs. Mom was disappointed because she was pretty sure this was the place that, 26 years ago, she could swim around in, and couldn't today.

No comments:

Post a Comment