Monday, October 18, 2010

Thursday and Friday.

Church yesterday was, again, a huge blessing. Craig spoke in the morning service about Ruth and Naomi. He pointed out how difficult of a time Naomi was going through and how God was with her even then. She was so sad at the death of her two sons and husband that she told her daughters in law not to call her Naomi which means pleasant or lovely, but Mara, which means bitter. In her bitterness, Naomi couldn't see Ruth standing right there to love and comfort her, she couldn't see God had a great plan that includes a lovely life for her, instead she was seeing through what the world must have seen in her. Of course, the world will tell us that when bad times befalls us, that we should be sad, angry, and bitter. Look at what Job's friends told him over and over: curse God and be angry. But that is not what God wants for us. He wants us to look forward to His plans for us and open our eyes to His love and comforting arms, instead of dwell on our bitterness. Through Ruth we can see a great example of faithfulness to Naomi even when there was nothing for her. There were so many good things to learn that morning.
On that topic, lately I've been trying to give the Old Testament a little more attention. I don't believe I've ever read the minor prophets, and what I have read, I skimmed and shrugged off as irrelevant to my life. I have come to the realization that it has everything to do with my life. These people were, first off real, not just some stories, and, somewhat, put on this earth to be examples and have experiences that I can learn from. It's been a pleasant surprise to see that the ENTIRE Bible is beautiful and relevant, not just the last quarter.
Well, about real life: this weekend was so beautiful. First of all, this fall weather has been perfect. Sunny and cool. Thursday I took the last midterm for those two weeks. It was an easy one. Later on in the day we went to the relaxed vaulting practice. Really we are mainly just having these practices for the horse as Karin is determined to get her into a nice steady canter. For Ribbon, this will be quite and accomplishment. When thinking of Ribbon running, images of elephants, rhinos, hippos, and my fat pony, Cindy, come to mind. She is not graceful and, well, you know the earthquake in Haiti? That was Ribbon trying a gallop. (I know I shouldn't joke of such things, but you get my point) But, actually, the practice went so well, we are really starting to think she'll make a good canter horse yet! After vaulting, we headed over to Grandma's for a game of football with Caleb. The teams may have been unfair and the ground may have been full of Mole tracks, but we had alot of fun. We then invaded the Sauder's and demanded food from the poor slave of a housewife, Rachel. Actually, she kindly offered us supper and I am very grateful for that. I haven't had meatloaf in ages. After that we hit the hot tub. Day well spent.
Friday arose with promise. No school or responsibilty, no plans or stress, just a free day to do as I pleased. I started out the day well with some devotions, coffee, and the walk with the ladies. I love the walks. Finishing up with that, I came home, took a deep breath, and plunged into the job of cleaning the house with great excitement and energy. Starting with the kitchen I tackled the refrigerator into submission, fought the pantry till it shone, battled the bathrooms to the death, their death, by death I mean they were stripped of all dirt, and, well, the victory over the livingroom wasn't very exciting as it is quite a calm and easy going job. All in all, it took 6 hours. Looking at the finished product, I'd say they were very rewarding 6 hours. At 3 I went to ride horses with Karin, she on Ribbon, I on Jenis. Then it was vaulting. Again, it was a very nice practice and I am all the more excited. By then, however, my shoulders were sore, my legs were sore, my back was sore, and just about every other muscle in my body was throbbing. I just could make myself go to the game night with the young group, my body needed rest. So we got in the hot tub.
I was going to finish this post with a detailed account of the events of Saturday and Sunday, however, Mom has convinced me to go on the walk on this busy morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment