Thursday, October 14, 2010

Wednesday night church

Last night I was so glad to be able to attend Wednesday night church. It's been weeks since I've come to church due to traveling and school work and I was really starting to miss it. Anyway, last night Willis Enlhe gave the sermon. Willis was a missionary in Japan for many many years and recently moved back with his wife. We read out of 2 Samuel 9 and Ephesians 3 and the topic for the night was family. As Willis spoke he made a point about children telling our parents we love and appreciate them. My mind wondered as he spoke and I thought about my own relationship with my parents. I love them tremedously, just thinking about all that they have done for me and how blessed am to have them brings tears to my eyes. Every day I try very hard to please them by cleaning, keeping peace with my siblings, showering them with hugs and kisses (I wonder if they ever tire of that?), reading my Bible, and doing whatever I can think of that will make them proud to be my parents. And, when I fail by neglecting dishes, fighting, or what have you, I always feel so down hearted. Last night it dawned on me that our relationship with our parents is very similar to our relationship with our Father in heaven. I love my parents so I try to please them and make them proud of me and I am ashamed when I hurt them. Shouldn't it be the same with God? Since I love God, I should daily strive to make Him proud of me, and when I sin, I should weep at the pain that causes Him. It's amazing to think that I can be so hard hearted about how I treat God and so sensitive to the way I treat my family. But, thank God that He provided this example of famliy.

1 comment: