Monday, July 5, 2010

Blessings to be Joyful About

I know I should be a tad bit upset at this point. It would be normal for me to feel cranky because I’ve been thrown back into reality with nothing but memories of time well spent and a lot of sore muscles. I must be strange because I honestly feel very happy today, despite the poor weather and circumstances.


If you did not know, we, as in my family, Steve, the deer, and a very large sum of my relatives, spent Fourth of July weekend at my aunt and uncle’s lake. Norris Lake is amazing. It is perched high up on a plateau of its own about thirty or so feet high. There are hardly any trees to block the glorious view of sky and miles of corn and bean fields that are so characteristic of this great state of Illinois. When up there, you really feel isolated in the best way in that it feels as if nothing in the world exists except for you, the sky, and the lake. We left late Thursday morning and stayed till Sunday evening. It may seem like a long time to spend on a single camping trip, but we had plenty to do! Norris Lake has a water slide, rope swing, volleyball court, beautiful beach, fishing docks, and a lovely pavilion among other things. It was just a great weekend of fun and family! And, no worries, I documented most of it and will have a video up shortlyJ.


The picture below is of Norris. This was taken awhile ago during a big storm and is the only photo I have of it. I have plenty of videos, just one picture.



Besides the fact that I have just come off of a superb weekend, I have other reasons to be joyful. Last night, late after the fireworks, I came home to an unbelievable surprise. A large envelope to me sat on the table. On the front it had an ICC stamp on it, so I assumed it was just some announcement about an educational workshop that I would never bother to go to, but I opened it anyway. The first word on the letter within was “Congratulations”! I think my heart actually stopped for a second when I read on to find that I had been awarded with a scholarship of a substantial amount of $1000! All day I’ve felt completely dumbfounded at why God would chose to bless me with this. I already am completely financially stable due to a dog bite when I was three. The dog’s owner’s insurance company is sending me a check every year for four years which does more than cover my cheap ICC tuition, and now this! Right next to the joy that I feel right now is a burdensome feeling to match it. I know that God has a reason for these blessings and I just pray that I will follow His will no matter what. I won’t say I am not a bit afraid of the responsibility this brings and that I’m not asking God “why me”. We will see what time brings and what His plan is. I am so glad that I can trust that He is all powerful, all wise, and all good. I have wanted very badly to go on a mission trip next summer, so perhaps that is what I am to do. I will be praying.


I guess I should mention one other reason why I’m not bummed that the weekend is over: no school. Today is our only holiday for the summer and I love the fact that I only have one day of school this week. Is that sad, or what! I really do enjoy school and I am glad for the structure it brings to my summer, but I can’t say I don’t love being home more.


Perhaps I am not strange for feeling joyful today.


No comments:

Post a Comment