Thursday, July 8, 2010

Friesians

There are a couple of things that I really, really love about Steve: he is punctual and consistent. Every morning, no matter what the circumstances, he kindly licks my neck to wake me up at precisely 6:00. I love it because I am most definitely a total morning person, but there are many times when, if I have no reason to rise-and-shine, I won't until ridiculously late hours of the day such as 9:00! I know, I know, its terrible, 9 is so late. Oh, and it goes without saying that I love going to bed early: 9:00 PM is ideal.

Anyway, we had some great news when we went walking yesterday (a bunch of my aunts and grandma have a walk every morning around The Lake at 7:25 sharp). We arrive to hear that my aunt Judy's horse, Jennis, a purebred, BEAUTIFUL friesian mare, had had her baby last night out of Raven, her friesian stallion. Now, many would shrug at this and think big deal. Well, for poor Judy, things go wrong almost every time, especially with this mare. Jennis aborted one baby, abandoned the other. Thank goodness last year they were able to get a little stallion out of her and keep it alive, but, nevertheless, when the due date comes around for any horse, Judy becomes nervous. And, she has the right to. The other thing with Jennis was that she just didn't look pregnant. We thought the baby must be very small, a quality not desired in a friesian. Well, no need to be concerned about this filly. They put Jennis in the stall, just in case the night before, and arrived to find a HUGE and beautiful baby. Judy was glowing with happiness. After so many disasters this year, it was great to see her so happy.





Speaking of Friesians, it just so happens that I will be riding one in the Northern Illinois Horsefest. Wynne is three years old and the newest edition to Judy's farm. I've ridden her before on trails and couldn't help but fall in love with her great attitude! In a three year old this is rare. This is a picture of Wynne (the black one) and Sangria.




This is also the show that our vaulters will be performing in. The Norther Il. Horsefest is one of our favorites as it is at the end of summer, very relaxed, and alot of fun (with the exception of last year). And, I know I've said this a million time before, but I think this year, we are at our best. This picture is of us last year at the same show.

In other news, we've been planning our great big three week road trip to California and I can't wait. Its going to be great!
I'll have videos of Norris up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment